Helmets: track standards and info
 New Helmet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

just got my forum ID

1 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  17:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any suggestions as to where one might buy one of these new helmets other than the internet. I would like to try several on before purchasing.
Steve Wright, Lakeland, FL

The management
admin/chief tire changer

1012 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  19:21:00  Show Profile  Visit The management's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The most common solution would be to try a motorcycle dealer, which usually will have a retail helmet display. This would be useful to get introduced to various styles, and especially to evaluate fitment, so that you may be able to order proper sizes. When one is looking at well-made, SNELL certified helmets, there are many similarities between motorcycle and auto racing styles. In many cases, the only difference between the "M" and "SA" rating is the addition of NOMEX content for fire protection. They often share shell construction, fit, and crush characteristics. The differences do become more distinctive when one looks at the very best ($1,000 and up) helmets. But, the helmets in the mid-price range, say $200-$500, are similar in many ways.

It is definitely tough to find a brick-and-mortar motorsports retailer that has a large range of helmets available for try-on.

Drive Well, The management
Go to Top of Page

just got my forum ID

1 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2015 :  23:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used an open face helmet when I first became involved in Motorsports, but have since moved to a closed face helemt. The open face is cooler and less restrictive, but the closed face design gives better protection to the lower face and is required when I go to the cart track.

Go to Top of Page

provisional solo poster

44 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2015 :  16:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see you are in Lakeland, which is just a short drive (Well, not really short) away from Sebring. Why not come out to the next Chin Event 3/28 & 3/29 and talk to Racing Radios at the track and try on some helmets? They should be open and have a decent enough stock on hand to let you try a few on and check fitment.

Douglas Quara Jr "DJ"
Racing, the only sport that requires the use of two balls!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page