Cross-drilled vs Slotted rotors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TrakAddict
just got my forum ID

2 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  16:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using stock cross-drilled rotors (I have a 997.1 Carrera S) with track pads (Performance Friction PFC 08's great pads by the way!) I am already seeing hairline cracks in the rotors around the cross-drills, none connecting and none look too severe yet but I have only done two DE's total of 5 days on these and am wondering if I should go to slotted rotors next time around... would they wear longer? do they cool as well as the cross-drilled? any input is welcome.

SCV

dquarasr
provisional solo poster

28 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  16:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally don't see the need for drilled or slotted. (Take my comments with a grain of salt: I drive a lightweight Miata.)

While I'm sure you can find arguments on either side, here's an explanation of why blank rotors are just fine and drilled or slotted are more trouble than they're worth:

http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-2/rotors-blank-vs-cross-drilled-vs-slotted-and-warping/

Google "drilled vs slotted vs blank" and you'll get tons of hits.
Go to Top of Page

TrakAddict
just got my forum ID

2 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  18:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dquarasr,

Thanks, great info.

SCV
Go to Top of Page

pdisme
Instructor poster

665 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2014 :  01:54:25  Show Profile  Visit pdisme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely do solid rotors if available. I went through several sets of factory drilled rotors on my Gallardo when I was still doing track days before switching to an aftermarket solid rotor and Pagid pads and never looked back.
Go to Top of Page

pk47
just got my forum ID

1 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  19:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A follow up note if others review this thread - holes in a plate, like a brake rotor, cause a stress rise of 3X the stress without the hole. That's if it's a perfect hole. Any imperfections and that stress will be even more.

Drilled rotors or cast in holes are fine for cars that change rotors every event or two, like race teams do. But for most of us it's not worth it, and the stresses will cause cracking to occur sooner.

Jim
1999 Mustang GT
Go to Top of Page

rasha
just got my forum ID

1 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2016 :  02:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do they cool as well as the cross-dril

Edited by - rasha on 03/09/2016 00:19:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic