Moving to US and joining the club
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Damon M Lazar
just got my forum ID

1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  15:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a driving enthusiast moving to US from Europe. I'd like to join the club and to participate in the events throughout the year. Before I sign up, it would be great if you could clarify a few things for me:

1. How many days a year one can participate realistically if one is based in New York? I've checked the Calendar and it seems most events are quite far, e.g. Florida / Alabama / Louisiana. Is it common for members to ship cars e.g. by truck across the country? And what's the split between weekend / weekdays events?

2. Can I join as an experienced driver without prior membership? I have several years of experience of amateur racing back home, mostly track days and some local competitions - both time trials and competitive. I currently own Mazda MX-5 (Miata) and race it at least several weekends per season. However I don't think I can provide extensive supporting documents as most track days are not documented here. I would still like to take advantage of instructors as tracks would be new for me.

3. Which classes are there and which one is most fun / competitive? As I mentioned, I have a Mazda MX-5 back here but not bringing it to the US. I'm thinking about getting another MX-5 or a Toyota GT-86 or maybe a 2nd hand Cayman / Boxter or a Lotus Elise. However I read there are some restrictions on convertibles, and I would like to avoid extensive modifications and I'm going to use the car as road going as well. Which cars would be best match for the events?

Big fat tires and everything...

The management
admin/chief tire changer

1012 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  15:00:07  Show Profile  Visit The management's Homepage  Reply with Quote
glad to hear of your interest. Many European enthusiasts participate with us in the States. If you're based in NY, don't overlook the dates that we offer at Watkins Glen, one of the most famous courses in the States. Also within easy reach on the Chin calendar are Mid-Ohio and VIR. We offer 6 track events on the calendar at just those tracks, and many more when one expands geographically. On our calendar, most events are Saturday/Sunday weekends, and those that are weekdays are designated, be sure to pay attention to the notes on each event line. The number of events one car participate in is limited only by your calendar and your budget. We regularly see drivers hire a transport service to deliver cars to faraway track destination.

You'll want to give attention to the menus on our website, which explain many details about our format and driver classifications. Click over to our homepage, and see: "Inside Chin" in the main menu across the top of the page. Convertible restrictions are posted on the featured track pages also shown on our homepage. At those tracks that do have some restrictions, installing a robust roll-bar is usually all that's required to comply with the safety standards. Looking forward to seeing you at the track.

Drive Well, The management
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page