Helmets: track standards and info
 Driver's suits?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

provisional solo poster

28 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  18:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know many of the tracks at which Chin conducts events do not require driver suits, and some even allow short pants and short sleeve shirts, recommending cotton.

But I wanted to get some opinions here.

Recently I smelled strong gasoline odor from our track Miata. First I thought it was from overfilling it since I had recently filled it up. But with the car idling I opened the hood and found gasoline spraying everywhere.

On investigation found that a fuel line had split at the inlet to the fuel rail. Luckily I had just started the car and everything was cold so no harm, no foul. Simple fix.

But that got me thinking. If this had happened on track with a heat-saturated motor and exhaust header, man, I would hate to think what could have happened.

I have already invested in a HANS, and I will put a fire extinguisher back in the car.

But what do we all think about someone running in advance group showing up in a track-prepped car (cage, suspension, go-fast bits) to an HPDE event in a driver suit? Ridicule, respect, indifference?

I'm really not going to let what others think dictate what I will do, but I did want to hear whether anyone here thinks a driver's suit might be overkill for HPDE. Pro and con discussion welcome.

Thanks much in advance.

intermediate solo poster

109 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  11:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't think it was ridiculous, just good foresight. I would feel a little self conscious showing-up in a suit myself in my fairly stock miata, but if it was race-prepped I'd definitely wear a suit. Not only for safety, but wearing a full suit takes getting used to, and getting used to it during a race isn't the place to do it. Always best to ensure your cool box, cool vest, suit, whatever, is working at 10/10ths before the race, and an HPDE seems like the perfect place for that to me.

2007 Silver Miata (moderately modified)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page