Track Talk
 medical analysis of fatalities in motorsports:
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The management
admin/chief tire changer

1012 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  14:18:19  Show Profile  Visit The management's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An interesting article on fatalities in motorsports. The author, Dr. Jim Norman, is a member of Chin Motorsports and drives in the Rolex series.

http://blog.parathyroid.com/race-car-deaths-medical-causes-racing-deaths/

Drive Well, The management

registering
intermediate solo poster

109 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  19:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, good article. It was a very sad Le Mans. Driving an open cockpit car, I've often wondered whether race harnesses make things safer -- by making me less likely to be ejected from the vehicle than a 3-point belt -- or less safe, by not allowing my body to get pushed to the side if my car flips and I land on my head. I figured because the race harnesses also allow me to wear a HANS device, it's an overall safer option, but I could be wrong.

Josh
2007 Silver Miata (moderately modified)
Go to Top of Page

dquarasr
provisional solo poster

28 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  09:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark, for posting a link here.

Sobering reminder of the inherent risks. Good reason for us to drive within our skill level and make good decisions, exhibit the on-track courtesy demanded by Chin Motorsports, and ensure our cars are maintained and afford as much safety as possible.

Josh, while a waiver allows running at many tracks with a convertible, do consider installing additional rollover protection. The 2007 MX-5 windshield and bars behind the seats may be good only for a very gentle rollover. Not trying to alarm anyone here, but let's remember the risks are real. (Yes, I used to run my '94 with no rollover protection. The current track car has a full cage.)
Go to Top of Page

registering
intermediate solo poster

109 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  08:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the concern. I've got additional aftermarket rollover protection (one of the first things I did).

Josh
2007 Silver Miata (moderately modified)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page