Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Event related...
 Past events
 Sebring May 4-5, 2013 - Big Thanks to so many!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dquarasr
provisional solo poster

28 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  19:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'd like to thank Chin Motorsports for another great weekend.

Thanks to Vince and Wei Shen for covering for Mark and Maria, who were busy at Road Atlanta, while Chin Motorsports ran two events on the same weekend. How many HPDE organizations can say that they can do two events on the same weekend?!?!?

Special shout out to Josh Feingold, who schlepped our second set of track wheels and tires back to Fort Lauderdale for us. And to Victor Leo and Josh Feingold and the Chin Motorsports chief instructors.

It was a trying weekend. Between my lovely wife Tammy getting sick and having to leave her girls weekend in Orlando to go home to finish being very ill with the flu, and me debating whether to leave Sebring to go attend to her, to her son and our lovely daughter-in-law going over to check on her, and our track car breaking on Saturday morning, it was starting to turn into the weekend from h*ll.

But it turned out pretty special. Not the least of which had to do with everyone we dealt with.

I need to give a special nod to my son, DJ. Here's what happened:

Second morning session, differential in our track Miata breaks. Uh-oh. My son DJ was instructing. Josh says no problem, we'll trailer it home and one of you can drive my track Miata home. So we have a way home. Or so we thought we did . . . .

In the meantime, we ask if DJ can be relieved of instructor duties to see if we can repair the car. Chin instructors all pitch in and cover for DJ. We find a salvage yard in Lakeland with a reasonably priced diff. DJ heads out to pick it up. Three hours later, around 3pm, he's back. Dives under the car and by 4pm the car is ambulatory again. DJ has done some incredible tuning and prep on our track car. This is another example of his prowess with anything that can be taken apart.

Oh, and another shout-out: XP Motorsports, on-track support, lent us some tools and wouldn't accept a dime in return. Truly, on-track support. We are eternally grateful.

So now we have a running track car and just need to go and give it a test to see if all is well. Except that Josh's car doesn't cooperate. During Happy Hour, his left-rear hub breaks. In Turn 17. Yikes! Black flag all. Josh was OK, thankfully, didn't hit anything. So we didn't get a chance to shake down the car Saturday. But Sunday the car performed flawlessly.

So, we have so many people to thank:
- Chin Motorsports for another great weekend
- Supreme Being (fill in the blank for your particular higher power) for providing perfect weather
- XP Motorsports for lending us tools
- Salvage yard in Lakeland for extracting the used diff quickly with no downtime waiting for it to be pulled
- DJ for installing the used diff in the car
- DJ's student for understanding and dealing with another (highly qualified) instructor
- Chin chief instructors for jumping in and helping cover for DJ

Sunday was another day, but luckily the diff held out. I'd also like to thank Victor and Josh for helping out with my suggestion to do some lead-follow with my Sunday student to help find the line. It was gratifying when in the last session my student "got it" and was able to hit marks consistently. Could not have done any of this without the support of a whole bunch of people.

THIS is the community. THIS is why we keep coming out. THIS is what it is all about.

Thanks to all!!!!

vhoward
provisional solo poster

38 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  21:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug,
I am glad things worked out for you all this weekend. Wei-Shen and I had a lot of fun running an event again (I do believe Mark thought we had forgotten how it all worked).

Special thanks to Scott and his wife for running registration, tech and numerous other duties that helped ensure a great CHIN track weekend. Thanks again to all the chiefs and instructors.

You all are what makes the CHIN family special. It is truly an honor to call you all my friends.

Drive well
Vince

Vincent Howard
CMS Management
95 Black Chin Miata
91 Black ChiNSX
99 Z-NSX 17

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: