The Chin Forum:
The Chin Forum:
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Members Exchange: Buy / sell / trade
 Idle Chat...
 How to set a price for selling a race car?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Instructor poster

665 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  16:56:41  Show Profile  Visit pdisme's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to put my car on the market but have no idea where to even start given how much the economy has changed since I purchased it. Are people seeing any movement on race cars now that things are turning around a bit? I know the races I've been in seem to be getting busier again; haven't been to a HPDE event in a couple years. I made the mistake of purchasing it about four months before the economy tanked lol.

To give you a run down on the car, it's a Juno SS3 sports racer, built for high speed V6 endurance racing in a spec series in Europe. It has a naturally aspirated V6 that makes about 390 HP. Engine only has two hours on it since the last rebuild. It has a tube frame. Weighs about 1200 pounds dry. Holds 12 gallons of fuel which will run it for about 80 minutes at race pace.

It's a real blast to drive and in the right hands you'll be faster than any car at an HPDE event. Fastest time I've run at Sebring in it has been 2:05 back when I couldn't drive particularly well (i.e. super slow through 1 and 17 and poor shifting/braking), fastest it has gone at Sebring is 1:59 at a Chin event in traffic with a coach of mine Chris Hall driving; in a race environment with a quality driver it should probably touch 1:56. Since that time, it has had a full paddle shift system added so the clutch is no longer used except at a standing start.

I purchased the car in 2008, I used it for mostly Chin events in 2008, raced it with PBOC in 2009 and early 2010 but then shifted focus to getting married and took a racing break. I sent the car to the UK in 2012 to have a paddle shift system installed by Mountune Racing (the company that originally built the engine, paddle shift software/hardware and did the ECU programming). While it was gone I developed an interest in the IMSA Lites series and began racing the spec car that series requires to get prepared, so the Juno is back with the upgrades but I want to sell it to do a full season of IMSA Lites in 2014. I don't plan to run the car any more so it won't accumulate any more engine hours and is in ready to race condition.

The car is stored and maintained by Performance Tech Motorsports in south Florida; they fielded the winning team in last year's IMSA Lites series and are doing both that and ALMS this year along with club racing events like what I have been doing up till now.

Bought the car for $115k in 2008 and the paddle shift system is a $20k option. I realize I won't get that kind of money for it these days, but don't know where to start a for sale post.

Any tips?

Thanks! (I had it painted yellow at the time of the video)

The management
admin/chief tire changer

1012 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2013 :  17:34:51  Show Profile  Visit The management's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PD, I'm no expert in this category; but, a suggestion might be to contact a couple of race shops that specialize in sports racers.... Speed Syndicate, ANSA Motorsports. Also, is a great seller of interesting sports and race cars.

Drive Well, The management
Go to Top of Page

The management
admin/chief tire changer

1012 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2013 :  10:30:48  Show Profile  Visit The management's Homepage  Reply with Quote
actually, here's a comparable Juno currently posted:

Drive Well, The management
Go to Top of Page

intermediate solo poster

98 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  16:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might also try They have just about anything race-related.

Dave Taylor

Mid-Ohio image by Sideline Sports Photography, LLC.

'88 325is S-50 conversion by Sports and Imports, Chesapeake, VA.

Go to Top of Page

just got my forum ID

1 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  06:36:08  Show Profile  Visit humpy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, have you sold the car yet? if noy what is your price?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page