driving in the rain...?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aparke
just got my forum ID

3 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  09:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I am looking for instructor advice on driving in the rain. I will be at Sebring on the 18th and it would be foolish of me NOT to think it won't rain there in the middle of August...at least by the afternoon sessions. I have raced in the rain before (Homestead, VIR), but in a much older car without electronic driving aids. I will be driving the only FWD car out there (I believe) and have typically driven with traction and stability control off in the dry. I know there are arguments for both ON or OFF. However, on occasion, I have driven on track with the nannies ON just to see if I was smooth enough for the CPU to refrain from feeling the need to interfere...fortunately, with good success. :) Is there a general school of thought for keeping the "nannies" ON or OFF for wet track driving? I am inclined to leave them ON at first...see if they actually engage.
Any advice/tips are appreciated.

Aaron Parke

The management
admin/chief tire changer

1012 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2012 :  10:43:34  Show Profile  Visit The management's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...rain driving is a delicate skill that is part of the whole repertoire of advanced driving. Initially, as a driver begins to experiment with wet conditions, leave all your vehicle aids ON, without a doubt. 2 other important fundamentals... try driving off-line from the preferred dry line. At well-used tracks like Sebring, the dry line is polished smooth from a zillion laps over the same pavement. So, the less-used pavement that is off-line will be more abrasive, offering better grip when wet. The other tip is SLOW DOWN! Obvious, yes? But, you'd be surprised how many drivers attempt to run the same pace wet or dry... and that will result in an off, of course. Once a driver gains experience and confidence in those conditions, wet laps can be tremendously satisfying, because of the reward from meeting the challenge!

Drive Well, The management
Go to Top of Page

aparke
just got my forum ID

3 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  10:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice! I had a great day with Chin at a wet Sebring. I was actually looking forward to driving in the rain. It was a great way to learn and even with the stability and traction control ON, it rarely intervened.

Aaron Parke
Go to Top of Page

kate
just got my forum ID

1 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  01:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, good article. It was a very sad Le Mans. Driving an open cockpit car, I've often wondered whether race harnesses make things safer -- by making me less likely to be ejected from the vehicle than a 3-point belt -- or less safe, by not allowing my body to get pushed to the side if my car flips and I land on my head. I figured because the race harnesses also allow me to wear a HANS device, it's an overall safer option, but I could be wrong.

Edited by - kate on 08/08/2014 02:27:36
Go to Top of Page

JasonNorin
just got my forum ID

3 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  02:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advise. I agree with what you said about driving off the preferred lane as it still have some abrasion in it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page