questions about how to improve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2FAST4YA
provisional solo poster

59 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  13:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will start off with saying i am glad to be participating in events with Chin motorsports again(had a 3yr break due to bad economic times) i was going fairly often from 2006-2008 in my previous car(nissan 350z) and got very comfortable with how it drove and performed with the upgrades/improvements i had made. i now have a red dodge caliber srt-4(i work for dodge and was able to get it for a good deal when we had to get rid of the Z for lower payments)and i went to the 12/11/11 event at Sebring.

on Sunday i learned that things have changed some with the format since i last ran in the intermediate group in 2008, i found out that passing was allowed in the corners with point-by(last time was straights only)so i had to adapt to that change. My car being fwd and top heavy is not able to turn in very quick due to its understeer prone nature so i lost a lot of time during the braking zone to corner entry section which then caused the traffic behind me to catch up and cause panic/chaos with me trying to move out of the way, give point-by , shift, steer all at once so i apologize to those who fell victim to that(some complaints were made and i was talked to by track officials) as the day went by i learned the new car more and more and improved my times and laps but know what changes i need to make to the car to make it stay with the pack.

in the afternoon i found the easiest way to not cause problems was to let everyone pass and let me just play catch up with the cars i was faster than or i would just start near the end of the pack during the start of the session. i also found that my car performed very well in the wet and was able to almost maintain the same speeds with little or no problems in turning or acceleration.

sorry for the lengthy story but i would like some feedback from knowledgeable folks on the forum that can chime in.

2006 NISSAN 350Z
2008 HONDA SILVER WING
2001 DODGE DAKOTA

registering
intermediate solo poster

109 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  19:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only able to get out to the track about twice a year since we had our daughter, so my time is pretty limited when I'm actually able to be on track. What I've found helps me:
1. stay back a bit, let everyone pass you, and find someone you can keep up with, then try and pass them. Passing them back and forth is fun, and driving a fairly stock Miata, I and my car are much slower than most folks and their cars anyway.
2. get a video camera and mount it on your windshield: any will do. Then you can review what worked and what didn't when you're away from the track
3. print out a map of the track, tape it on the wall in the pits, and mark notes on it. Especially speeds through different corners, so you know how fast you should be going through each corner next time around
4. concentrate on one or two corners per lap, rather than every corner. Once you have these one or two down pat, pick another two and concentrate on them.
5. review your notes from the last track event before you get on track. That way you can pick up where you left off, rather than start all over. This helps me, as my gaps between track events are pretty big!
6. using telemetry helps, although with so much traffic sometimes it's limited.
7. ask someone if they could ride with you and give you any pointers. I've always found folks very eager to help out
8. review the video posted by Chin for the various tracks to see some good lines

Good luck!

Josh
2007 Silver Miata Sport
Go to Top of Page

2FAST4YA
provisional solo poster

59 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  08:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the input, i have done most of those tips already. i was hoping for some folks with a fwd to maybe chime in with some specific details and also some people who may have been at the event who may have been behind me or seen me to critique what they may have noticed.

in preparation for the event i did some simulation driving on xbox on forza motorsport 3 to warm up my mind for the track layout, corners and braking zones.

then i watched various youtube videos, and i went to a racing go-kart track a few days before to get some g's thrown against my body to warm up and worked on carrying speed and momentum in the corners and managing grip(Orlando Kart Center has 45+ mph karts on .5 mile road course)

i also went earlier this year and rode with an instructor and an advanced driver in thier sessions as well.

i am going to purchase an eibach pro-kit spring package and rear sway bar upgrade to dial out the body roll and understeer issues in the car before i go back in april/may 2012 for Sebring.

i know i need to brake later and harder at the end of the back stretch, turn 7, and the front stretch, i was running an experimental type front brake pad setup i read about on a forum for my car and was unsure of its capabilities. in turn that cost me some time in my laps because i was trying to find the limit of the pads without killing myself and not fading out to zero pedal. i am running ate super blue brake fluid but the pads are from a dodge charger police car(the dodge caliber srt-4 and dodge charger r/t have same front brake calipers and rotor diameter, the police package brake pads have a huge range of temp they can tolerate and are designed to stop a car 1200 lbs heavier) so throughout the day i would try to go faster and faster and brake later without compromising my line or others around me.

2009 DODGE CALIBER SRT-4
2010 KIA FORTE KOUP
2001 DODGE DAKOTA
Go to Top of Page

adambrouillard
novice poster

14 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2011 :  12:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you really want to improve, but can't get to the track weekly, sim racing is definitely the way to go, it's hard to get better at anything you get to do once every 3 months. If you have the wheel and pedals (driving with a controller is next to worthless) Forza in sim mode is pretty good, but if you really want to get serious go for iRacing.

You'll need to make sure you understand line theory and proper car control cues to make sure you are practicing the right things. If you don't want to spring for a coach to teach you (hint, hint) I recommend the skip barber going faster book. It's a bit vague on some important stuff and there are a few things wrong, but it will definitely get you started and it's the best source currently available.

Don't sweat the FWD, it's pretty much exactly the same except your corner exit cue is reversed. Wheelspin causes understeer, not oversteer.

Good luck!

http://adamstechshed.com/ -Setup and Driving Tips
www.hollingsworthrg.com -Atlanta Property Management
Go to Top of Page

2FAST4YA
provisional solo poster

59 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  15:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, i will look into that publication

2009 DODGE CALIBER SRT-4
2010 KIA FORTE KOUP
2001 DODGE DAKOTA
Go to Top of Page

dave 86 930 fl
novice poster

9 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  17:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the event and running in the blue group with you. Since you seem uncomfortable with both your driving skills (at present) and passing conditions in the blue group, I would suggest that you run in the green group (solo) until your performance improves and you are comfortable with passing rules. When that time comes, I would suggest that you request one of the chief instructors to take a ride with you in the blue group in order to demonstrate your skills. Chin has some awesome instructors and I try to get one in my car for at least one session per day.

Please take my suggestions as constructive, just trying to help. We've all been there at one time or another.

Best Regards, Dave
Go to Top of Page

2FAST4YA
provisional solo poster

59 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  17:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering about that option, i considered asking that after lunch(to move down to novice)but everybody started to leave when it started to rain and i was able to get some clean laps in where i was not in peoples way and they were not in mine. i then got the chance to work on braking later and staying in the gas more and hanging more g's in the areas that my car was able to handle.

i would like to take a passenger/instructor for some laps in the future just to monitor what i am doing right/wrong, i have broad shoulders and can take criticism, i know it can only make me a better/safer driver.

i have had some instances in the last few years on the street where having knowledge of car control/managing grip has saved me. i also think the higher speeds/faster things approach also has helped because one has to think and process what is happening a lot faster and when things happen on the street it seems a lot slower.

i also participated in track events with motorcycles and i think that has helped as well. even higher speeds, more precise inputs and strict control involved so one does not kill themselves. also has a lot smaller contact patch of rubber to deal with and 2 less tires.

2009 DODGE CALIBER SRT-4
2010 KIA FORTE KOUP
2001 DODGE DAKOTA
Go to Top of Page

2FAST4YA
provisional solo poster

59 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  08:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i think i had a successfull track day at Sebring this past Sunday, my suspension improvements were a big help, knocked off 10 seconds from my time in December and 3 seconds off my personal best from the time in my old 350z. I was able to carry more speed in the corners than before and get better accel out of the corners with the increased stability, with that the increased confidence allowed me to push harder and get closer to the cars limit.

i think i had a better grasp this time on the passing rules for the blue group, was making passes and giving point bys very often and i think at the right times, i got some nods and thumbs up from the track steward at pit out so i am assumming i did ok.

did anybody happen to monitor my driving from this past weekend? i was the red caliber srt-4 on the track.

2009 DODGE CALIBER SRT-4
2010 KIA FORTE KOUP
2001 DODGE DAKOTA

Edited by - 2FAST4YA on 05/08/2012 08:07:56
Go to Top of Page

2FAST4YA
provisional solo poster

59 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2013 :  23:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, looks like I am approaching the last few days prior to my next event with Chin. Looking forward to being on track with my fellow car enthusiasts and getting to enjoy my car in its native environment.

Getting last steps of prep done tomorrow to my car and getting myself prepared mentally so I can display the proper skills to prove I belong in the intermediate group still. Did some preliminary driving events the last few weeks to subject myself to what is to come(went to go kart race track 2 weeks ago and to time attack/autocross event week after)hoping to break into the 2:30`s this Sunday wish me luck.

2009 DODGE CALIBER SRT-4
2010 KIA FORTE KOUP
2001 DODGE DAKOTA
Go to Top of Page

2FAST4YA
provisional solo poster

59 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  23:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I did not meet my goal of 2:30`s but did make some improvements in certain areas of my laps I was pleased with. I am still not happy with my brake pads, were fading out after 5 laps, some of you may have seen me not stop in time on several occasions, I just learned to stop a lap early and let the car cool down and then go do 4 more laps after a short 5 min break.

I also was not happy with my tires, Michelin pilot super sports were not as grippy as I would like. So will make some changes before I return in the fall. Did anybody have any feedback good or bad, I would like to hear it.

2009 DODGE CALIBER SRT-4
2010 KIA FORTE KOUP
2001 DODGE DAKOTA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page