The Chin Forum:
The Chin Forum:
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Track related...
 Car Preparation and equipment
 harness bar?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Resaca rattlesnake Posted - 12/20/2011 : 10:59:44
I know the argument that if you roll over you dont want to be in a 5point harness without roll bar, but im just trying not to slide around in my seat so much right now. Any input on harness bar and 5point harness. My car is a stock boss 302 mustang and dont really see the need in a roll bar at this time.

Blue boss 302
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SC BOSS Posted - 06/10/2013 : 16:18:25
Resaca..
I have a 2013 RED Boss 302 that i drive at all of my track events. I installed the 4 PT 'bolt in' Rollbar from CoolTech. It's a very nice rollbar (not SCCA qualified) that takes about 8 hrs to install. The finished product is awesome!! I run 6 pt harnesses off of it with my Recaro Seats. It stiffens the chasis as well as it ties in the two rear fender wheels as well. If you are at any of the events i am this year you are welcome to try it out. I'll be at Barber in July and VIR in october with Chin motorsports!

Luke
DaveA Posted - 04/26/2012 : 00:47:04
I just installed the Schroth Rallye 3 into my Infiniti G35 Coupe, and it worked wonderfully at Sebring last weekend. It has a quick release clip behind the driver seat so I can lean the front seat forward and access the rear seat.

I attached the rear belt to the C pillar, on the same bolt as the rear-seat shoulder belt. Schroth included longer bolts and spacers that worked perfectly in my car. I can email pictures if you want.

On the track, I wore my 3-point OEM seatbelt on top of the Schroth harness. I wanted to ensure the computer didn't alter the airbag deployment, etc., plus you can never be too safe.

DaveA

Car54 Posted - 04/19/2012 : 11:05:34
quote:
Originally posted by Resaca rattlesnake

I know the argument that if you roll over you dont want to be in a 5point harness without roll bar, but im just trying not to slide around in my seat so much right now. Any input on harness bar and 5point harness. My car is a stock boss 302 mustang and dont really see the need in a roll bar at this time.

Blue boss 302

Not sure if it's too late, but you might want to look into the Schroth ASM 4-pt. It's really the only way to install a harness without a sub-strap. Remember you'll need equal restraints for your passengers. I would not get into a car without a proper sub-strap routing...nor belts tied to child anchors.

As for rollovers....don't be this guy!

http://jalopnik.com/5390929/gallery/gallery/10
dew-e Posted - 02/29/2012 : 12:37:38
quote:
Originally posted by MX5RACER

In the past I have used the top child safety seat latch mount to locate the shoulder harness. The top latch is located on the rear deck directly behind the center of the driver's seat.

Douglas Quara Jr "DJ"
Racing, the only sport that requires the use of two balls!

You'll want to check the specs for each specific car but most child seat top tether points are not designed to support over 80 pounds of weight in a vehicle crash. The top latch is really intended to keep the seat from moving excessively while the bottom latches or the seat belt itself is intended to secure the child safety seat. There could be a car out there where those mounts are stout enough to work, but I would not get into a car that was using that as the harness attachment point unless they still had the stock 3point still installed.

I've seen some pretty scary belt installs that might work to hold you securely to the seat at 1G, but have absolutely no chance of working in a serious impact.
JeremyGSU Posted - 02/16/2012 : 14:28:56
I have a harness bar in my C5 Z06 and no rollbar. I've only seen one car rollover at track days that I've been to. It's always a possibility but pretty rare. Plus if you drive your car on the street rollbars aren't deemed safe.

I also would suggest a 6 pt harness over a 5. Save the nuts.

Jeremy
2004 Z06 Corvette
MX5RACER Posted - 12/21/2011 : 12:15:24
In the past I have used the top child safety seat latch mount to locate the shoulder harness. The top latch is located on the rear deck directly behind the center of the driver's seat.

Douglas Quara Jr "DJ"
Racing, the only sport that requires the use of two balls!
Resaca rattlesnake Posted - 12/21/2011 : 11:36:39
Thanks for input, im going to go ahead and order it. My knee was sore from nov road atlanta event from pressing against the door. You are right about pulling on the steering wheel, i found myself using it to move myself around and holding on. Cant wait to get back to track!!

Blue boss 302
The management Posted - 12/21/2011 : 10:01:30
harnesses are a great upgrade, for any driver, in any car. The performance benefits may outweigh the safety benefits... improved performance results from the driver being firmly fixed in the seat by the harnesses. Using OEM 3-point, a driver must use the wheel to 'hang-on' to the car... reducing fine-control inputs by the driver. When properly harnessed, there's no more 'hanging-on', and the driver uses the hands only for fine control inputs.

Drive Well, The management
Resaca rattlesnake Posted - 12/21/2011 : 09:20:41
It came with recaro seats and has the shoulder pass thru but not crothch one but corbeau makes a kit for the crotch

Blue boss 302
registering Posted - 12/21/2011 : 08:32:32
Since it's not a convertible I think just the harness bar is okay, but I'm wondering if the seats can accommodate a 5-point harness? A 5-point harness needs shoulder pass-thrus and a crotch pass-thru, which aren't available on any stock seat I've seen. If you're running a stock seat make sure it's replaced with something built for 5-point harnesses. If you're using an aftermarket seat built for 5-points I'd make sure it's a good fit then go for the 5-point harness and harness bar. Great car by the way!

Josh
2007 Silver Miata Sport

The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page