The Chin Forum:
The Chin Forum:
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Track related...
 Track Talk
 Passing... the correct way!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MX5RACER Posted - 03/21/2011 : 09:39:14
I have been noticing a nasty trend starting at the last few Homestead events concerning passing. This past event a Lotus driver almost bought my car when he incorrectly completed his pass after I pointed him by. Coming up to turn 8 (Bus stop) braking zone, I pointed the Lotus by to the inside just before the braking zone. He got next to me and got about 3/4 of his car in front of mine, then decided he needed to brake, but he was not on "line" and slammed the door on me while jumping on his brakes.

When you go to pass someone under braking and they point you to the inside, stay inside of the "line" and the other car, complete your braking and turn down to the apex and then track out. His slamming the door on me, caused me to drop a wheel in the dirt to avoid hitting him. I was able to get the car hauled down in time for the turn because I was 100 feet short of my brake zone anyway, but damn did I have pull the seat cusion out of my ass after that.

Douglas Quara Jr "DJ"
Racing, the only sport that requires the use of two balls!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cannon1000 Posted - 05/12/2014 : 16:07:11
Regarding point by's and passing approaching a braking zone & a Turn. One of the fantastic instructors gave me the advice to move your braking zone earlier, this does a few things:
(1) it is safer since the car in front of you that will inevitably take the turn off line - will be safely in front of you.
(2) you can safely see them as they will be in front of you (not beside you) before you get into the turn.
(3) it will not require you to take an outside line if the pass is not completed quickly. (You can stay online and very well may end up on the inside of the passing car depending on how well they take the turn).

At Road Atlanta - approaching 10A - I usually brake at the 100 marker (or less). But since I must carry as much speed as possible and am usually much faster than other cars through 10A/B - if I give a faster car a point by - I may brake at the 300 or 200 just so I can have a clean run at 10A - behind (not beside) the overtaking car.

1987 Porsche 924 GTR Posted - 04/03/2014 : 17:07:16

Thanks for the quick reply!!!
The management Posted - 04/03/2014 : 12:40:46
... if one is overtaken on a straightaway, the OVERTAKING car should move online after completing the pass safely. I.E., the passing car will occupy the space in front of the OVERTAKEN car, and the OVERTAKEN car should STAY ONLINE.

Drive Well, The management Posted - 04/02/2014 : 17:29:19

Follow up on passing etiquette. I was instructed to pull in directly behind the overtaking car, once it is safely in front of me, but I'm still in his blind spot.

Makes a lot of sense when passing in a corner, but what about in a straight away.

Should I also move directly behind the overtaking moving off my line a small amount, to let the overtaking car know that I'm safely behind him?

thanks in advance.

MX5RACER Posted - 03/25/2011 : 09:18:41
By the time I had calmed down enough to have a civil conversation, the header on my car decided it did not want to stay in one piece.

Douglas Quara Jr "DJ"
Racing, the only sport that requires the use of two balls!
JeremyGSU Posted - 03/24/2011 : 19:42:01
I would have found where that guy was pitting and had words with him regarding this at the end of the session.

The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page