The Chin Forum:
The Chin Forum:
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Track related...
 Helmets: track standards and info
 Driver's suits?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dquarasr Posted - 09/01/2013 : 18:50:43
I know many of the tracks at which Chin conducts events do not require driver suits, and some even allow short pants and short sleeve shirts, recommending cotton.

But I wanted to get some opinions here.

Recently I smelled strong gasoline odor from our track Miata. First I thought it was from overfilling it since I had recently filled it up. But with the car idling I opened the hood and found gasoline spraying everywhere.

On investigation found that a fuel line had split at the inlet to the fuel rail. Luckily I had just started the car and everything was cold so no harm, no foul. Simple fix.

But that got me thinking. If this had happened on track with a heat-saturated motor and exhaust header, man, I would hate to think what could have happened.

I have already invested in a HANS, and I will put a fire extinguisher back in the car.

But what do we all think about someone running in advance group showing up in a track-prepped car (cage, suspension, go-fast bits) to an HPDE event in a driver suit? Ridicule, respect, indifference?

I'm really not going to let what others think dictate what I will do, but I did want to hear whether anyone here thinks a driver's suit might be overkill for HPDE. Pro and con discussion welcome.

Thanks much in advance.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
registering Posted - 09/03/2013 : 11:34:00
I wouldn't think it was ridiculous, just good foresight. I would feel a little self conscious showing-up in a suit myself in my fairly stock miata, but if it was race-prepped I'd definitely wear a suit. Not only for safety, but wearing a full suit takes getting used to, and getting used to it during a race isn't the place to do it. Always best to ensure your cool box, cool vest, suit, whatever, is working at 10/10ths before the race, and an HPDE seems like the perfect place for that to me.

Josh
2007 Silver Miata (moderately modified)

The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page