The Chin Forum:
The Chin Forum:
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Track related...
 Helmets: track standards and info
 Track Helmets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
notyour300 Posted - 08/07/2007 : 16:27:10
I was wondering if I can use an open faced helmet for the track events. I couldn't find a definite answer on this in the regulations. I see that they must be snell 2000 or higher rated. Any info is appreciated.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
vhoward Posted - 08/09/2007 : 18:05:27
Thanks Josh for the correction. Rough week at work

Vincent Howard
CMS Management
95 Black Chin Miata
91 Black ChiNSX
99 Z-NSX 17

pdisme Posted - 08/08/2007 : 18:17:02
Just for reference, Chin also allows both M-rated and SA-rated helmets; I had a hard time finding an SA helmet for my first time out.

And you definitely don't want to ride in a Radical with an open face, love bugs at 130 mph don't feel good.
Joshua Posted - 08/08/2007 : 07:37:11
Hi Frank,

I used an open face helmet when I first became involved in Motorsports, but have since moved to a closed face helemt. The open face is cooler and less restrictive, but the closed face design gives better protection to the lower face and is required when I go to the cart track.

Vince is used to working with very complex numbers, so it's surprising that he mis-stated the current standard which is Snell 2005. The Snell 1995 helmets have expired, and helmets with Snell 2000 or 2005 ratings are fine to use with Chin.

One of the Chief Instructors
1993 HPDE/CSP Miata
vhoward Posted - 08/07/2007 : 20:05:14

Open faced helmets are acceptable as long as they meet the Snell rating currently in force (snell 2000). However, I would not recommend an open face helmet in a formula mazda or other open cockpit vehicle

Vincent Howard
CMS Management
95 Black Chin Miata
91 Black ChiNSX
99 Z-NSX 17

The Chin Forum: © Chin Motorsports, Inc 2006-2016 Go To Top Of Page